William Richard Morris, first Viscount Nuffield GBE CH FRS (10 October 1877 – 22 August 1963) was an English engine producer and giver. He was the author of Morris Motors Limited and is recognized as the organizer of the Nuffield Foundation, the Nuffield Trust and Nuffield College, Oxford. He took his title from the town of Nuffield in Oxfordshire, where he lived.
Morris was conceived in 1877 at 47 Comer Gardens, a terraced house in the Comer Gardens region of Worcester, around 2 miles (3 km) northwest of the focal point of Worcester, England. He was the child of Frederick Morris and his better half Emily Ann, girl of Richard Pether. When he was three years of age his family moved to 16 James Street, Oxford.
The Morris Garage
After leaving school at 15 years old Morris was apprenticed to a neighborhood bike dealer and repairer. After nine months, after his boss denied him a boost in salary, matured 16 he set up a business fixing bikes in a shed at the back of his folks' home. This business being a win he opened a shop at 48 High Street and started to gather and additionally fix bikes, naming his item with an overlaid cycle haggle Morris. Morris dashed his own machines contending as far away as south London. He didn't restrict himself to one separation or time and at one point was victor of Oxford (City and County), Berkshire and Buckinghamshire for separations differing somewhere in the range of one and fifty miles.
He started to work with bikes in 1901, planning the Morris Motor Cycle, and in 1902 obtained structures in Longwall Street from which he fixed bikes, worked a taxi benefit, sold, fixed and procured vehicles. He held the organization for Arrol-Johnston, Belsize, Humber, Hupmobile, Singer, Standard and Wolseley autos. In 1910 he constructed new premises in Longwall Street—depicted by a neighborhood daily paper as The Oxford Motor Palace—changed his business' name from The Oxford Garage to The Morris Garage and still needed to take more premises in Queen Street. The Longwall Street site was redeveloped in 1980, holding the first facing, and is presently utilized as understudy settlement by New College.
Engine vehicle produce
In 1912 he structured a vehicle, the "bullnose" Morris and utilizing purchased in parts (counting motors and axles from USA) started to fabricate them at a neglected military preparing school in Cowley, Oxford. The flare-up of World War I saw the early vehicle processing plant generally offered over to the generation of weapons – including 50,000 minesinkers for the North Sea Minefield – however in 1919 vehicle creation restored ascending from 400 autos in that year to 56,000 out of 1925. Morris spearheaded the prologue to the United Kingdom of Henry Ford's systems of large scale manufacturing. Amid the period 1919– 1925 he assembled or obtained production lines at Abingdon, Birmingham, and Swindon to add to those in Oxford.
In February 1927, in rivalry against — among others — its maker, Herbert Austin, Morris paid £730,000 for the advantages of the fallen Wolseley Motors Limited which turned into his own property. Wolseley were at this phase in genuinely propelled improvement of an overhead camshaft 8 hp vehicle, which he propelled as the main Morris Minor in 1928. The first MG Midget, propelled in 1929, depended on the Minor.
At the point when significant segment providers experienced issues he acquired them all alone record. His American motors were currently made under permit for him by Hotchkiss in Coventry. At the point when in 1923 they were reluctant to grow creation Morris purchased their business and called it Morris Engines Limited. It would move toward becoming Morris motors branch when he later sold it to Morris Motors. Again when back-pivot maker E. G. Wrigley and Company kept running into monetary challenges he purchased and reconstituted it as Morris Commercial Cars Limited to make an extended truck and transport advertising. Following a similar approach he purchased the maker of SU Carburettors in 1926.
Awed by American all-steel bodies he influenced Edward G Budd of Budd Corporation to enter a joint endeavor with him called Pressed Steel Company which raised their extensive industrial facility at Cowley inverse Morris' very own and with an associating span in 1926. Be that as it may, the two business magnates had each met their match. In the end in 1930 the High Court finished their differences by obliging Morris to surrender his and his partners' participation of the Pressed Steel board and all Morris property and Morris lost all the capital he had put resources into the endeavor.
Morris was "the most acclaimed industrialist of his age". On New Year's day 1938 he was recognized as Viscount Nuffield. In September 1938 he purchased the bankrupt Riley (Coventry) and Autovia organizations from the Riley family pitching them to Morris Motors Limited. He had included another individual speculation, Wolseley Motors Limited, to the arrangement of Morris Motors Limited in 1935. After he was praised as Baron Nuffield rather than the Morris Organization the entire exhibition of all his own undertakings were advanced as the Nuffield Organization. There was no lawful substance to both of these groupings.