Ernest "Ernie" Payne (23 December 1884 – 10 September 1961) was an English track cycling racer. Conceived in Worcester, he won a gold award in the group interest at the 1908 Summer Olympics in London for Great Britain and proceeded to play football, including two amusements as a beginner for Manchester United. 


Payne was conceived in a house at 221 London Road, Worcester. He filled in as a craftsman. As his cycling ability developed his boss gave him time off to contend. Payne gave him a gold watch in much appreciated. 

Cycling profession 

Ernest Payne's cycling ability was spotted at Boughton Park in Worcester. T W Badgery of the Worcester St Johns Cycling Club (talking at a brilliant celebration supper in 1938) said that he obtained his sibling's bike "and it was seen on the double that he would have been a champion". Payne joined the St Johns club in 1903. 

Payne was stocky, five feet six and a half inches (17 cm) tall and gauging ten stone and seven pounds (3.2 kg). He was prepared by his sibling Walter, an effective dashing cyclist. Walter's right hand was Arthur Hale, sibling of Worcester dashing cyclist, Frederick Hale. 

Payne's first race was in 1902, on 14 July at Stourbridge. He smashed and harmed his bike however proceeded to win the half-mile cripple (incapacitate 75 yards) on an acquired bicycle. Amid his first season he won 13 of 14 track races (coming next in the other). He had some expertise into equal parts and one-mile races. Before the finish of June 1903 he was alluded to as "the Worcester Wonder" in The Cyclist. The dominant part of his dashing was on grass yet he demonstrated at home on lasting velodromes. 

One of his significant trophies was the Challenge Cup. The container contained 450 ozt (14 kg) of silver and was 4 feet (1.2 m) high. He won it inside and out at the 1904 Whitsun meeting in Bath, Somerset. He won in excess of 150 races including provincial, national, British Empire and Olympic titles. 

In his first season Payne utilized a privately made machine, however in 1903 he rode an Imperial Rover, having likewise replaced his tires from Dunlop Road Racing to Dunlop Sprint tires. 

Group interest 

The Team interest occurred more than three laps of the 660-yard track at the White City Stadium in London's Shepherd's Bush. Payne, 23, rode with Benjamin Jones, Clarence Kingsbury and Leonard Meredith in the British group. 

The group had a walkover in the first round when the Belgian group did not begin. In the semi-last they beat Canada (inevitable bronze award champs) with 2:19.6 to the Canada's 2:29.2. 

In the last Payne drove the group to triumph with pace-production in the course of the last two laps of the 1,980 yards (1,810 m) occasion. They recorded 2:18.6, beating the silver award winning German group by 10 seconds.

Different occasions 

Payne contended in the 660 yards occasion, winning his warmth yet getting thumped out in the semi-last. In the 5000 meters he didn't complete his semi-last. In the Sprint he won his warmth yet was vanquished in the semi-last. 


Ernest Payne's cycle dashing profession appears to have completed in 1910, despite the fact that he had been playing football since no less than 1908. In 1910 he played for Worcester Early Closers, previously marking for Worcester City, and he was in the group that won the Birmingham League in 1912. 

Payne played twice as a novice for Newton Heath (later to wind up Manchester United), in 1908– 09, when he is recorded as having marked from Worcester City. He made his introduction against Nottingham Forest in a League Division One match on 27 February 1909, remaining in when Billy Meredith was playing for Wales. 

In his last match he scored the objective that held Sunderland to a 2– 2 draw at United's ground. The Manchester Evening News detailed: "Payne could do almost no and it was on the left wing that Manchester constantly gained ground... Payne was slanted to demonstrate more energy however he was an exceptionally frail spot indeed.". The paper revealed that it was a crude diversion in which each group's barrier had a more imperative impact than the advances. It said Payne made up for himself when 

"astute play by Wall constrained a corner and from this the ball headed toward the right, Payne meeting it and putting it quickly into the net... at that point in the end minutes, from a shot by Payne, Turner about hurried through the triumphant objective." 

He left Manchester United in June 1909. 

War benefit 

Payne was a bike dispatch rider with the Guards' Division in World War I. His gold award was lost while he was in France amid the war. be that as it may, a reproduction is held by Worcester City Museum. 

Demise and remembrance 

Ernest Payne kicked the bucket in 1961. The Worcester Evening News announced the occasion without specifying his Olympic gold decoration. Nor was the decoration recorded in the Worcester St Johns club minutes. His widow gave the club cash to purchase an Ernest Payne shield. It is granted yearly to the club's adolescent victor.

Ernest Payne